Prior to starting this column, I covered the performing arts for Examiner.com, which ended operations in 2016. While writing for that website for eight years, I published an annual top-ten list, naming those whom I considered the most “Compelling” performing arts figures in central Indiana. Once I started my own site, and for no particular reason, I ceased compiling my list. However, remembering how popular it was and conscious of expanding my readership, I have decided to bring the list back.
More importantly, if I can advance my mission to shine a spotlight on local performing arts organizations and artists, I am determined to do so. In that spirit, I present the following list, in alphabetical order, of individual performing arts figures whom I regard as the most creative, innovative, and impactful artists and arts administrators of 2022.
1. Marcia Eppich-Harris – Founder and Artistic Director, Southbank Theatre Company
2, Janna Hymes – Artistic Director & conductor, Carmel Symphony Orchestra
3, Michael J. Johnson – Founding Artistic Director, Kids Dance Outreach
4, Norman Lasiter– Cabaret performer & star of “Gray Pride” at the IndyFringe Theatre Festival
5 Jared McElroy – Assistant Artistic Director and vocalist, the Indianapolis Men’s Chorus
6. Alyona Yakovleva-Randall – Artistic Director, Indiana Ballet Conservatory
7. Richard J. Roberts – Director of “Violet,” Actors Theatre of Indiana
8. Casey Ross – Co-founder and Artistic Director, Catalyst Repertory
9. Chris Saunders – Founder and Artistic Director, American Lives Theatre
10. Jonathan Studdard – Actor-singer-dancer, who starred as Lola in “Kinky Boots” at Beef & Boards Dinner Theatre